Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last thoughts leaving Bolivia and Ambue Ari

Six hours north from Santa Cruz

Arriving alter dark

Where Howler Monkies greet the dawn

And you can show'r with Aviram

It's Ambue Ari Park

 

Four nights sleeping in a quiet town

Though sometimes I heard La Bomba

And even though my gear got damp

I was finally glad to move to camp

And Ro's " 'morning Cochabamba"

 

A monkey peed on all my clothes

'cause my door someone LEFT OPEN

Stung over and over by fire ants

A scorpion's crawling inside my pants

What's the worst thing that could happen?

 

At half an tour past six o'clock

The comedor calls out dinner

Hot peanut soup, we eat and talk

Four to one Paper, Scissors and Rock

No plate washing for the winner

 

Hot water is on, the candles are lit

Writing info on my cat's form

Then time to chat, a book to read

Werewolf, chess and Junglespeed

Unless you're cool enough for Skydorm

 

Morning translations with Omer and Sev

Anuncios when you're finished eating

Don't bring outside your cups nor your platos

Be careful with the wind and your gatos

Alter 6 months, Duncan is leaving

 

Our sick monkey's lost in the Amazon

Then lessons on ecobanos

It's movie night, five B is the cost

And once again Chantal has lost

Something in Guarayos

 

CLOSE THE DOORS and don't hang your clothes

On any of the flora

Cat I has said that she will stay

Noemi's Hero of the Day

For removing Bora Bora

 

It's Friday tonight, let's all go to town

Flo's taxi is for hire

Get out your best shirt and pick off your ticks

Put Pios to bed and dinner's at six

Then Dave and Potable and fire

 

Two miles from camp, the mud and the bugs

Ru's runner with Ben and Johnny

San Pedro where we swim and run

Santa Maria's auc-ti-on

Gill says we raised lots of Money

 

So many memories I take away

Like that bird, what gave me a gash

Not knowing what's worse, the smoke or the mossies

Rugby abuse from the French and the Aussies

Or a festering tropical rash

 

Hitchhiking for hours just to use a computer

First it's pouring, then it's blazing

The bugs are biting, while the fish are not

It's really quite humid, but at least it's hot

Yet all of it was amazing.

 

Futbol with Sandro, Oso and Iver

CLOSE THE DOOR and please use the lock

Da-me  Cho-co-la-te and birthday cakes

The sound removing a Pitohu makes

And Roi's Bokel Tov Matok

 

Nick and his ringworm, jungle Walking Trees

Potatoes, Mike and his guitar

Monkey vandals and starlit skies

Talking with students, the fireflies

Weeks spent alone with my jaguar

 

For seven weeks I tried to give

A better life to Ru

Climbing, running, construction, stalks,

Licking, feeding, siestas, talks

He bettered my life too

 

It's a difficult thing to say goodbye

For I'll come back who knows when

I worked and helped, was sometimes sore

Yet Chantal and others did so much more

I hope we meet again

 

I wanted to say to you so much more

Before I left at ten

The camp, Ru and you will stay in my head

I-ron-ic-a-ly the last thing you said,

"The Door Here is Always Open"

1 comment: